Ledgend of Korra Theory; Amon The first AetherBender
After watching the latest episode of Korra, I was enticed to go watch a couple of the important episodes from AtLA to refreshen my memory. The first one i started with was Season 2 Episode 19, The Guru. This is the episode aang almost is able to unlock his 7 chakras.
Lets discuss the two chakras we have seen aang touch while “energy” bending away the ability to bend a element.
- The Fourth Chakra, Located in the region near the Heart deals with love, and is blocked by grief. Aang visualizes the entire air nomad civilization dissipating away into the air that surrounds him then turns into the facial image of Katara.
- Korra’s fourth chakra has obviously been disrupted since the begging of the series and although she acts mature and is able to “let go” of mako, deep down inside..she can’t.. But the guru tells aang Love is a form of energy which swirls all around us. My assumption, the mastery/understanding of this chakra might be the way for Korra to defeat Amon.
- It’s needless to say, Amon’s fourth chakra is blocked up/ or sealed shut after the incident with his family and the firebender. He is unable to let go of the greif by blaming many for the actions of one or a few. This block or unwillingness to let go of the past explains why he is only using the sixth chakra to block bending. Yes, he is blocking bending..not taking it away.
- The Sixth Chakra, is the light chakra Located in the center of the forehead and deals with insight. It is blocked by illusion. “The greatest illusion in this world is the illusion of separation. Even the separation of the four elements is an illusion. If you open your mind you will see that all the elements are one. Four parts of the same whole.”-Guru
- What can we assume of Amon with this information then? That he has a very specific mastery over one particular chakra. That by blocking this chakra, Amon creates an illusion. An illusion that he has the ability to permanently take away bending. That is not the case. After Amon blocks the 6th chakra, Cosmic energy swirls into the 7th, and swirls right back out because it cant flow down the body.
- All the elements are one. Four parts of the same whole. What is the result of combining four elements? Lets find out…
Body(Earth)+ Blood (Water)+ Oxygen/lung (Air)+Desire/The will to live (Fire), combining all of these equals a Human being. The combination of the four elements gives birth to the original/source element. The 5th element, Aether. . Humans are able to function by using energy/ Aether.
- Amon has an elite knowledge of the Human body and understands the distribution of chakra energy and the different pressure points… it’s also safe to assume he as a vast knowledge on the 6th chakra, and knows exactly how to close it. He traumatizes his victims using the 6th chakra to induce the ultimate living ILLUSION=The illusion that the bender is separated from his element. It’s pretty much like hypnosis. They should physically still have the ability to bend…but the mental block set by Amon is so daunting, they have no faith in themselves. It’s all a mental trick.
- i.e Zuko when he joined team avatar. He couldn’t firebend because of mental disturbances. I assume many of the people that have gotten their bending taken away will go through a similar process of relearning how to bend the “original way” just like Zuko and Aang did in the Sun Warrior episode.
- The Fifth Element; Aether
- Described as the spiritual force that Earth, Air, Fire, and Water descend from. “In the era before the avatar, we bent not the elements but the energies in and around us”-Lion turtle
- the combination of the four elements make up that which is Aether, and that Aether exists in every living creature in existence; without Aether, there is no spirit, no soul, no bending.
- Purpose of Amon as an AetherBender
- I for one do not doubt that Amon has spoken to the spirits and was taught this ability. Isn’t it obviously to see how complacent bending can make a person? Tahno is the perfect example. He seems like a genuine guy once his bending is taken away. And that is exactly what I think Amon’s character function is.
Not to rid the world of bending, but to elicit a change in respect towards bending. Bending is a sacred art and union with nature. Once people realize this, they may enter their own Avatar state, bending with complete control and awareness of their actions. I honestly think this is an effort to restore bending to a purer unification of the individual and the elements.
Of course the Avatar has to remain the Beacon of light and hope, the one who maintains balance. So Korra can’t be going around teaching people to respect their bending ability the nice way, nor can she take it away(physically she doesn’t have the ability or knowledge) plus that violate the validity of the Avatar.. No, the people needed a catalyst before bending got completely corrupt and a sheep to put the blame on. Lo and behold it’s a baby boy! Lets name him Amon.
And the mask is just a meager characterization Trope people, don’t get sucked into it! Worry about his function on the show, not who he is. Its not the mask that makes the person…its the person that makes the mask.
Also just going to leave this here if you’re not satisfied.
In Greek mythology, Aether , also known as Acmon, is one of the primordial deities, the first-born elementals. His name means “light” in ancient Greek.
OK, now it’s just plain as daylight. Literally..I mean how close to a name can you get?. Amon is here to show us the light and cleanse us of our bending sins!!